The Athenian Riviera is a coastline of about 70 km in the southeastern part of the prefecture of Attica, which extends from the port of Piraeus to the cape of Sounio. It is the natural extension of the Attica Basin to the sea and a popular recreation zone for the inhabitants of Attica.
The scope of the project, which includes the construction of a unified network of bicycle and pedestrian routes, concerns the unification of the urban coastline of the Region of Attica, which extends from the Poseidonos – Kifissos interchange of the Municipality of Moschato to the Town Hall of the Municipality of Vari Voula Vouliagmeni. The estimated length of the project that Project Preparation Facility (PPF) unit will undertake to mature in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment and Energy, the Region of Attica, the Municipalities of the region and the Hellenic Public Properties Co (HPPC), amounts to 13.5 km. Τhe project is funded by resources of the Recovery and Resilience Facility.
The total length of the Urban Promenade is 22 km. Part of the project, about 9 km long, will be constructed by the Region of Attica, the Municipalities of the area and by private companies.
- The section from the port of Piraeus to the Peace and Friendship Stadium, approximately 4 km long, will be implemented as a separate project involving the construction of a bicycle path – pedestrian route, by the Municipality of Piraeus.
- The section from the Peace and Friendship Stadium to the Olympic Properties, approximately 1.5 km long, will be implemented by the Region of Attica as part of the project for the redevelopment of Faliro Bay.
- The construction of the section that passes through the Marina of Alimos, specifically 1 kilometer of bicycle path – pedestrian route is part of the obligations of the concessionaire, as described in the Concession Agreement from 2020 between HRADF, the Greek State, ETAD and the concessionaire “MARINA ALIMOS – DEVELOPMENT OF NEA MARINA ALIMOS SINGLE MEMBER SA”, according to the approval of the general planning of the Alimos Marina.
- Part of the project, 800 meters long, passes within the properties of the Hellinikon investment. At this stage, the way and the implementing body of this section is being examined.
- A section passing through the Municipality of Glyfada, approximately 2 km long, is being implemented as part of the separate project entitled “Regeneration of the Coastal Front of Glyfada”. The Municipality of Glyfada has the responsibility to construct this section.
The Urban Promenade crosses six Municipalities (Kallithea, P. Faliro, Alimos, Elliniko-Argyroupoli, Glyfada, Vari – Voula – Vouliagmeni) and is expected to create a quality, functional and aesthetic axis that connects and unifies this coastal area.
The aim of the project is to create an upgraded free public space, which is attributed to pedestrians and cyclists throughout Attica. The intervention aims to improve the urban environment by upgrading the quality of the urban space and attracting new functions of economic activities, while having a positive impact on the natural environment of urban centers, creating new jobs and achieving significant energy savings that will contribute to the transition to a low-carbon economy.